Saturday, January 16, 2010

Dive!

I got to dive! 3 days in a row now! Waking up Thursday morning, my sinuses were clear. Still apprehensive, I left Pattaya on board Mermaids 4 (MM4), and headed out towards the far Islands. Setting up all my new kit was, as usual, exciting. I'm still trying to figure out where I want all my stuff clipped to. So many more options now! During the two dives, I tagged along with an Instructor who was teaching The National Geographic Specialty. I was worried I may have been all over the place with my buoyancy, but there was no issue (once i added 2 extra kilos to my pockets!). It was like I had not stopped diving for yes, an entire year. I think my buoyancy may in fact be better.

   Day 2 consisted of helping a different instructor teach Discover Scuba Diving (DSD) to a family from Britain. We made 2 dives again, and I mainly worked with the mother of the family. I even got to sign her off as a Discover Scuba Diver! That's 1/5 of a "Cert" in PADI's eyes...

   Today I made 2 fun dives down south of Pattaya out of the village Samae San on Mermaids 3 (MM3). We did one dive to the Hardeep and out looking for a reef, and the second dive we penetrated the wreck from bow to stern. Swimming through old doorways, corridors, cargo holds, the engine room, and even a section of a boiler, it was an exciting dive. Tomorrow though, the real fun starts. I'll be team-teaching new interns a variety of Specialities over the course of the week with one of the instructors I worked with earlier on. They are somewhat tougher courses to teach, but they are quick. Quick means more "Certs," faster! I will be very busy while the courses are happening, so my updates may be few and far between for the next bit.

   On another note, I bought a new Backpack today. Mine finally bit the dust. One of the shoulder straps was literally hanging on by a thread, and the main zipper has been losing teeth quicker than a hockey player. Still, it's served me well. I bought it over 3 years ago when I worked at Staples. This new one will fit the purpose of world traveler a touch better i think. Much more comfortable for hiking, and loads of places to strap and snap things to, while still providing a nice cushy place for my laptop. I also like the layout inside much better.

   See you later, B

  

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post! Thanks for the update. Go for those "CERTS" boy! So - the backpack... being a girl... I want to know what colour? Did you get the "deepwater blue"? Or basic black? Love you... be safe out there.

    ReplyDelete